The salesman at the home improvement store was very enthusiastic about a dry vapor steam cleaner. “This is the best thing since sliced bread,” he told me. “It’s great for cleaning all sorts of surfaces without using any harsh chemicals.” I wasn’t sure if I believed him, but I decided to learn more about them.
Dry vapor steam cleaners emit low-moisture vapor output at temperatures between 240-260F. This vapor contains less than 5% moisture, emulsifies grease, and kills mold, staph, and other disease-causing microbes without harsh chemicals.
Dry vapor steam cleaners are powerful tools that can help get your home clean without using any harsh chemicals. This can be a great choice for people who have allergies or sensitivities to chemicals plus, it’s more environmentally friendly than traditional cleaners.
If you’re thinking of buying a dry vapor steam cleaner keep reading because in this guide, we cover the following topics:
- What is a dry vapor steam cleaner, and what are its benefits over traditional cleaners?
- What types of surfaces can it be used on safely?
- Best dry vapor steam cleaners
How do vapor steam cleaners work?
Dry vapor steam cleaners use very little water to produce a jet of dry steam vapor at high temperatures. This dry steam vapor is effective in cleaning all kinds of surfaces. And because it contains very little moisture content, the surfaces dry very quickly.
Benefits of dry vapor steam cleaning
- Dry vapor steam cleaning uses very little water, making it suitable for drought-prone areas and for cleaning surfaces that cannot withstand moisture. You can also use it for cleaning and disinfecting upholstered furniture, beds, electrical outlets, jewelry, and other surfaces where moisture is prohibited. The technique benefits commercial, industrial, food, beverage, pharmaceuticals, and healthcare industries where water or humidity is not welcome.
- Dry vapor steam evaporates quickly and leaves the surfaces nice and dry. This makes it a great option when you need quick cleaning so that surfaces can be used again in a short time. Walkways in commercial buildings can benefit from this type of cleaner.
- Dry vapor steam cleaners are cost-effective as they need no chemicals.
- Superheated steam over 200F helps eliminate germs, mold spores, and other disease-causing pathogens. It is an effective method of sanitizing surfaces for high-risk individuals, elderly patients, immunocompromised individuals, people with allergies, etc. It is best suited for individuals sensitive to household chemicals and around kids and pets.
- The process removes stains, dust, grime, grease, etc., and deodorizes and disinfects.
- Dry vapor steam cleaners are ecofriendly as they do not use chemicals. They are better for our waterways and Mother Earth.
How is a Dry Vapor Steam Cleaner Different Than a Steam Cleaner?
A dry vapor steam cleaner uses less water than a traditional steam cleaner and can heat the water to a higher temperature. As a result, vapor steam cleaners are more effective at cleaning and sanitizing surfaces, and you can use them on a broader range of materials.
Furthermore, vapor steam cleaners dry quickly, so there is no need to worry about wet floors or carpets. In contrast, a traditional steam cleaner uses a blast of hot steam – most of which is superheated water – to clean surfaces.
As a result, they are not as effective at cleaning and sanitizing surfaces. In addition, traditional steam cleaners can damage delicate materials. Finally, because conventional steam cleaners use more water, they take longer to dry. For these reasons, vapor steam cleaners are the superior choice for cleaning homes and businesses.
What Types of Surfaces Can a Dry Vapor Steam Cleaner Be Used Safely?
Dry vapor steam cleaners can be safely used on many kinds of hard and soft surfaces. They are especially great for cleaning the following:
- Sealed tiles
- Hardwood floors
- Bathroom grout
- Shower cubicles
- Bath and kitchen fixtures
- Mats, carpets, rugs
- Upholstered furniture
- Car interiors
- Most kitchen appliances
- Glass doors and windows
- Plants – including delicate cacti
Some cleaners have special attachments that let you clean walls, ceilings, and hard-to-reach areas.
Tasks Dry Vapor Steam Cleaners Can Be Used.
Areas that need to be cleaned and dried quickly- commercial and industrial appliances, walkways, etc. can benefit from dry vapor steamer cleaners as they get the cleaning done super fast, so production is not halted.
Disinfect, deodorize, sanitize
Most regular cleaners do not eliminate microbes and disease-causing pathogens. High-temperature dry vapor steam cleaners eliminate these microbes to give a comprehensive cleaning, sanitizing, disinfecting, and deodorizing effect.
Chemical-free cleaning around pets and kids
Since no chemicals are involved, dry vapor cleaning is a safe and healthy way to clean around children and pets. Dry vapor cleaning is excellent for sanitizing child beds, cribs, baby and pet toys, dog beds, and pet cages – all without harsh chemicals.
Dry vapor steam cleaners are versatile and can effectively help clean multiple surfaces. The dry vapor mop can tackle everything from mirrors and glass to upholstered furniture to bathroom grout and kitchen counters. They also efficiently remove hard-to-remove dirt such as wax, oil, glue, grime, etc.
Hard to reach areas
Dry vapor steam cleaners can go where ordinary cleaners cannot!
Dry vapor steam can penetrate cracks and crevices, so you’re assured of a thorough deep-cleaning action. Clean grout lines in bathroom tiles, shower enclosures, kitchen sinks, etc., easily and quickly. You can also eliminate bed bugs and fleas hiding inside cracks and crevices of floors in rugs and carpets.
You can use dry vapor steam cleaners to clean jewelry, motorcycles, car interiors, freezers, and even the surfaces of dirty plants and succulents like cacti. You can reach deep inside bottles, light switches, electrical outlets, soiled car seats, etc.
At first glance, these cleaners may seem expensive. Indeed, most models cost more than $1000. However, the durable ones with stainless steel bodies last for years. You also save a ton of money on buying cleaners. Plus, your family and pets would be healthier, resulting in fewer medical bills as well.
Are Vapor Steam Cleaners Safe?
Dry vapor steam cleaners give out super-heated steam, which can scald. Scalding burns are severe, and one must seek medical help immediately. It is important not to direct the cleaning hose toward any individual.
The dry vapor steam can reduce the operator’s visibility. So, it is essential to use the cleaner properly so that one won’t slip and fall when using the cleaner. If you get enveloped in a cloud of steam when cleaning, it is crucial to stop the unit and let the steam clear before proceeding.
Hot steam could condense inside the cleaner’s hose, causing it to whip violently. This has the potential to hurt someone.
Which Vapor Steam Cleaners are the Best?
Unfortunately, there aren’t too many manufacturers of dry vapor steam cleaners. The concept is still catching up in the USA. Also, most European manufacturers, especially Italian, have had to re-engineer their cleaners for the US electrical power supply. The higher-than-average price of these cleaners is also a deterrent.
Having said that, many commercial establishments in the US, like Hilton, Marriot, etc., have adopted commercial-grade dry vapor steam cleaners to provide healthy environments to their hotel guests.
We can hope that the popularity of these cleaners increases in the US, so their price will also decrease.
Here are some of the top brands and best modes of dry vapor steam cleaners for residential use.
LadyBug 2105S Dry Vapor Steam Cleaner
The LadyBug 2105S dry vapor steam cleaner is an Italian-made dry vapor cleaner. It produces super hot dry vapor that cleans and disinfects. You can use it to clean rugs, carpets, kitchen surfaces, bathroom doors, glass, walls, ceramic floors, and hardwood floors without damaging them.
The TANCSⓇ Thermal Accelerated Nano Crystal Sanitation system that connects the water reservoir to a boiler sets this dry vapor steamer apart. This system pumps water from a non-pressurized tank into the boiler to produce superheated steam with very low moisture. Since the process occurs continuously without using too much water, you can clean non-stop for hours without refilling the tank.
- TANCSⓇ equipped
- It comes with 12 accessories
- Stainless steel body
- Easy to use
- Compact to store
- Auto-shutoff feature when the operating temperature is reached
- It can be used for a long time before needing a refill.
- Fast heating, quick-drying
- It gets rid of fleas and bed bugs
Vapamore MR-100 Primo
Vapamore MR-100 Primo has received the Best Steam Cleaner in Class award by a leading consumer rating digest. You can clean all kinds of surfaces without using chemicals with Primo.
Its super-heated steam at 210-220 F kills and eliminates germs and microbes, removes stains, cuts grease and grime, and gives you a squeaky clean home.
- 1-hour operation per tank, 1.6-liter stainless steel boiler
- Super-heated steam at 220F
- Solenoid-operated steam control
- 1000-watt water heater
- Has undergone 100s of hours of testing by engineers
- Versatile – can be used indoors and outdoors—Cleans ovens, BBQ grills, freezers, garage floors, wood, stone, vinyl, etc.
- Freshens, cleans, disinfects, deodorizes, sanitizes
- 100% natural cleaning
- Easy to use
- Maneuverable and lightweight
- Easy maintenance
- Loud operation
- It needs close proximity to an outlet – the cord is short and inconvenient.
Vapor Systems VX5000 Steam Cleaner and Steam Mop
The VX5000 Steam vapor system is a commercial-grade cleaner now available for residential applications. It gives you two hours of cleaning time before you need to refill so you can clean the entire house with a single tank.
- Includes 30+ accessories
- It has a large hose of 12-ft
- Stainless steel tank and body
- Durable; commercial-grade construction
- Dries quickly; cuts cleaning time
- It does not need a frequent refill
- It has powerful stain and odor removal
- Compact, lightweight, easy to maneuver
- It takes almost 15 to 20 minutes to warm up and build pressure.
Sargent Steam® High-Pressure Vapor Steamer Machine
The Sargent Steamer gives pressurized dry vapor steam to provide hours of operation without using too much water or harsh chemicals.
- 1450 watts, 110 volt
- 295 F boiler temperature
- Three pressure settings
- 17 different attachments
- Versatile – cleans multiple surfaces
- Stellar customer service and lifetime support
- Easy to use
Conclusion – What Is a Dry Vapor Steam Cleaner
Dry vapor steam cleaners are an environmentally friendly and cost-effective way of cleaning all kinds of surfaces. These cleaners blast out a jet of superheated vapor having very low water content at a high temperature between 240-260 F. This dry vapor helps emulsify grease, eliminates stains, and kills mold, staph, e.coli, and other harmful disease-causing pathogens.
With so many benefits, we are sure dry-vapor steam cleaners are the future of cleaning.
Below is an informative YouTube video about dry vapor steam cleaners.
FAQs – What Is a Dry Vapor Steam Cleaner
How do steam cleaners kill germs?
Steam cleaners use high temperatures to kill germs. The hot steam breaks down the cell walls of bacteria and viruses, destroying them in the process.
Are dry vapor steam cleaners unsafe to use on certain surfaces?
Unlike steam cleaners that tend to damage unsealed tiles, natural stone, marble, wood, silk, etc., you can use dry vapor cleaners on these surfaces since they give out very little moisture.
Is dry steam hot?
Yes, dry steam can reach temperatures between 240F to 260 F.
What is dry vapor cleaning?
Dry vapor, also known as dry steam, is vapor containing very little moisture content. It requires boiling water at a high temperature and blasting it out at high pressure. The resulting jet of vapor can easily get around obstacles, unlike wet or moisture-laden steam. Dry vapor steam contains less than 5% water and dries quickly while also sanitizing and disinfecting.
Is vapor cleaning superior to steam cleaning?
Yes, vapor cleaning was specially developed for healthcare and commercial applications for its highly efficient sanitizing and deep cleaning effects. Since it gave terrific results, manufacturers have started making these cleaners for household use.